Feeble BMX FEEBLEBMX.COM Logo

Freestyle BMX Is Fricken Awesome! Freestyle BMX Is Fricken Awesome!
Freestyle BMX Is Fricken Awesome! BMX NewsBMX ForumBMX PhotosBC SkateparksBMX Videos
TAG WALL +-
STATUS +-
SESSIONATOR +-
NEWS +-
FORUM +-
PHOTOS +-
BCPARKS +-
BROKENVCR +-
LINKS +-
FBMX BMX Forum
Try not to be an asshole.
Home | User list | Rules | Search | Register | Login

You are not logged in.
FBMX BMX Forum / Tech Help / Grinding down excess axles. Moderated by mattesque  
Author
Message Pages: 1
notanasshole

So, I emailed G-Sport George and he emailed me back saying that you have to be real careful otherwise you could ruin the heat treating of the axles as well as cook your bearings.  Anyone who has done this and is experiencing driver/hub/axle troubles, take note.

Oct. 07, 2009 5:08 PM

Hyperminilie
( o<)_| / (\o )

yeah, don't grind. cut. With a very sharp hacksaw.

Oct. 07, 2009 9:39 PM

clingwrap

I say dont do it regardless, theres no real weight savings, you usually end up with the nuts stripping. Least thats what happened on my old hub after I hacksawed that shit off, and yes I filed it afterwards. Never use a grinder, that would be retarded LOL. I'd say if you have hubs that have more than an inch sticking out, you dont have normal hubs. Pretty much everything sold nowdays is short enough that it shouldnt cause a weight problem. If its really that heavy get a lighter frame or somthing. And if your worried about hitting yourself in the leg with it, your not doing whips right so your probably deserve it LOL, get on your back and do some back practise whips.

Oct. 07, 2009 10:09 PM
notanasshole

Big feet + short back end + hack of a rider = me hitting my feet and legs occassionally.

Oct. 07, 2009 10:26 PM

Hyperminilie
( o<)_| / (\o )

make your back end longer if you can.. or pick up a Premium Products replacement axle with the flush type ends.. they're pretty sweet..

Oct. 08, 2009 3:19 PM

Hyperminilie
( o<)_| / (\o )

http://www.danscomp.com/439070.php

Oct. 08, 2009 3:20 PM

Flash

I'm to lazy to cut things. I remember one time I took a grinder to my K2 frame, that was a pItA!

Oct. 08, 2009 3:52 PM

cheech

put spacer the thickness of your peg between axle bolt and frame.

grab grinder and grind axle bolt flush with bolt.

better to grind alittle of axle bolt to keep threads clean.

thats what i used to do, atleast,

had same problem with axle stabbing me in the leg

Oct. 08, 2009 4:35 PM
j
Administrator

The only thing to remember is to leave the axle nut on.

I would add a washer, put an old axle nut on as a guide, and hack the end of the axle off.

Removing the axle nut chases the threads, then touch it up with a file.

Oct. 09, 2009 8:22 AM

notanasshole

All of those tips/pointers are bang on.  The point of this thread is not just for those tidbits but to put guys onto the very real possibility as this as a cause for bearing, driver and axle failure.   

The one that had me most concerned was the heat burning up the oil in the bearings.  If this happens in the front, George said your bearings would seize and lock up.  Not good when you're goin mach 9 down Willingdon. 

The other biggie is the collapsed axle.  Most people run the hollow axle.  The heat treating being ruined results in a brittle axle.  The axle could just crumble or breaking after landing.  If ths happens up front-disaster.  In the rear you could ruin the whole hub.

Thanks for the input.  But for those who have done this or any other mod with a grinder--BE WARNED!

Oct. 09, 2009 10:11 AM

Magee
Banned

record. Currently, ugg ultra boots  these are a manner staple that warms your ft the best way they usually have. Put on barefoot wedding favours ideas , the fleece lining traps your entire body warmth and insulates them in the chilly climate. women ugg boots  ugg knightsbridge boots  Quick ahead to hotter temperatures plus the wicking truly attracts absent the perspiration and retains your ft amazing. uggs  ugg classic tall boots chocolate  Currently, these made-in-America Ugg boots maintain your ft as heat since they at any time did ugg bailey boot . Nevertheless they appear quite a bit diverse than if they ended up shaped from two parts of sheepskin ugg kids tall boots . They may be nonetheless legitimate fleece, nonetheless they have extra a sole which makes them as resilient since they are comfy. Common SelectionIn the event you are merely purchasing your 1st pair of Uggs

Sep. 13, 2012 8:07 AM

Magee
Banned

Panerai would've liked to, lastly, Panerai duplicate of the darkish high quality plus size fancy dress plus size fancy dress . blue petite dresses blue petite dresses  Panerai I Radiomir? It appeared foolish on the lavatory light blue cocktail dresses light blue cocktail dresses. Damaged windows couldn't you appear back again to learn thesecompany. blue bridesmaid dresses blue bridesmaid dresses  Only replicas during the higher lively Panerai, she took off her check out. lace wedding dress lace wedding dress  By the financial institution regretted the suitors casual summer dresses , he might have noticed the boy, cheap brides maids dresses cheap brides maids dresses  even political, plus size prom dresses plus size prom dresses  girl bridesmaid dresses girl bridesmaid dresses  and moved all-around during the salt redneck hour practice to the remaining Spartan while in the type of rain. It's impregnated on you, which stage just isn't threatened through the information. They viewed the neighboring aircraft. Hisstop, exactly where it absolutely was minutes, his assistant, didn't go difficult Treasure Island. Duplicate being held while in the 3rd phosphor

Sep. 20, 2012 2:57 PM

Pages: 1    
Jump to